Reasons why Jay will never be caught dead karaokeing:
1. I can't dance to someone stuttering out the lyrics to Crimson & Clover.
2. I can't keep a straight face when someone with a thick Punjabi accent is covering the Village People.
3. I'd have to put down at least one drink to grab the mic, and anything that cuts into my drinking time is not cool by me.
4. I feel squeamish around duets - especially the syrupy, pukey, romantic ones - and especially ESPECIALLY when sung by 2 people who are not a couple. Like, for example, my sister and my mom's boyfriend singing Meatloaf to each other.
5. Which is still not as bad as when 2 people who are not a couple sing raunchy songs with dirty lyrics to each other. Can anyone say INAPPROPRIATE???? Can anyone say CANCEL THE NACHOS?
6. Which is still not as bad as when 2 people who ARE a couple sing raunchy songs to each other, because in my experience:
a) this couple is FUGLY
b) this couple cannot help but launch into a quasi-choreographed dance sequence that involves some bumping and grinding that no one, and I mean NO ONE should ever have to see.
MY FREAKIN EYES!
7. It leaves you wide open to people posting silly pictures of you on facebook.
8. The guy in the cowboy hat and handlebar mustache rubs his crotch just a little too eagerly while singing I Touch Myself.
9. According to my unauthorized autobiography, i don't have flaws.
10. Why would I pay good money to sit at a bar and listen to amateurs destroy some perfectly righteous tunes when I could go to the bar next door and listen to the music the way it was meant to be heard - at ear-blistering decibels, mixed, remixed, and spliced together with some BeeGees because evidently the DJ is having a seizure.
11. Despite the world being filled with good music, karaoke mostly features: cheese by Celine Dion, stinky cheese by Mariah Carey, and inevitably, some baby boomers reliving their misspent youth with Grease tributes out the wahzoo. Yeah, I said wahzoo. And just for the record: Gloria Gaynor should only be sung by drag queens with big curly hair, sinfully short skirts, and gold go-go boots. Seriously.
12. And to the cougar wearing too much lipstick and not enough shirt: Mustang Sally isn't doing you any favours. First of all, it dates you. If you want the 19 year old to go home with you tonight, here are some pointers:
a) Try some Fallout Boy instead. That will at least put you in the right century, if not in the right age bracket.
b) Leave the leopard print at home.
c) The next time you bleach your roots that awful colour, try to leave a little leftover for your mustache.
d) If you MUST wear spandex pants, lose the gotchies. Your panty line can be seen from space.