Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Does anyone else feel as guilty as I do that our dogs have better lives than 80% of children? That's a pretty shitty thing when you think about it. My dogs are loved and well-fed. They sleep in warm, cozy beds, and have great medical care. They benefit from air conditioning and puffy vests and parks built just for them. We hire people to care for them when we're away, walk them when we're busy, groom them when they're gross. And I wouldn't even say my pets are spoiled! They just live in a North American home with a fenced yard and a mountain of squeaky toys. They're lucky, and so am I because they bring a lot of happiness to my life. But when I think that there are probably millions of children going to bed tonight not only without the luxuries, but without the basic standard of care that we deem necessary for our pets - because in Canada, we have laws not just against cruelty, but against neglect - that kills me.

3 comments:

Jude said...

It's true Jay. And it is also so sad that we can help our pets with one last act of love to die humanely when they are too sick to live, but we can't do that for our human loved ones when they are terminal and just want to go.

Jay said...

Exactly right.

Maven said...

It is a nice notion (my notion) to think that your dogs are reincarnated beings. That perhaps they suffered enough in previous lives, to be reborn into this life, where their only purpose is to give and receive love. And perhaps in the course of loving us, and us loving them, it makes us more loving people, and more aware of the suffering of others.