Monday, May 16, 2005

These Boots Are Made For Walking

And that's just what they'll do.

I have a thing for walking. It's baffling really, considering my natural habitat is a nice warm bed with a beer fridge for a night table and a long reaching stick for any other needs that may arise, such as scratching my ankle when I don't feel like leaning or bending.

But every day, I must walk. Usually, I walk nowhere. It's not about the destination, but the act itself, so I walk in circles, or squares, really big ones, sometimes spanning several kilometres (although I'm more likely to measure distance in time, ex: how far did you walk? oh, about 3 hours).




These are my babies. My first ever Doc Martens, so of course I cannot help but revere them. They have seen me through: mosh pits, raves, exams, cold Ottawa winters, Christmas parades, nature walks, and yes, even my wedding day (no one can tell under the dress!). Other boots may come and go, but these will forever have a special place in my heart.

During a stroll around my neighbourhood, I spy with my little eye:

Tulips.


Tulips are a real joy. They sprout up out of the ground at the first sight of spring, sometimes when there is still snow on the ground, and what a sight they are. They bless us with their majesty for such a limited time and burst with such intense colour every walk is a tour around an artist's palette.




The church where my parents were married. I've never even been inside it, but I think it's nicer this way, maintaining a bit of mystery.




The St. Lawrence River




Look, no smugglers today! Actually, it can be quite beautiful at times, and the cool breeze that comes off it is perfect for summery walks.

Yes, I tend to give this city a hard time. It's not always friendly to the under 72 crowd, it categorically rejects anyone with more than a high school diploma, and its intellectual/cultural aspects are limited to the magazine rack at the 7-11. I don't think I'll be settling here, but I'll admit it does have its moments. When the smallness is not oppressive, it's quaint. It's funny to be able to walk from one end of the city to the other in the space of an afternoon. And for every piece of trash, there's a friendly neighbour with a ready smile.

No comments: