Saturday, April 23, 2005

Obey My Authority

Today I am sharing with you some stuff that I've enjoyed in the hopes that you will reciprocate. Don't worry about whether I'll like it, just tell me that you did, and that's enough. Just try to keep things somewhat off the beaten path (no Harry Potter, for example) and we'll all be happy.

What to Watch:

The Hour (plays in Canada on CBC Monday - Thursday, live at 8pm)

I'm really excited about this show, because it's not just reporting the news, it's talking about it. A newscast gives you the bare bones of a story; The Hour gives us the meat. It gives opinions, biases, points of view. It's a rare commodity, and it makes information seem way less tedious. Mr. George Stroumboulopoulos is at the helm, not just a hottie but an informed source, along with several contributors who make the show a rich, irreverent mosaic. Unlike the blank-faced, straight-laced deadpan feel of other news shows, this one is unafraid to run from somber to sarcastic. It's a show that anyone can watch, and everyone should watch. The Hour is changing the face of the news (thank God). Way to go CBC, I didn't know you had it in ya.

What to See:

The Third Wheel

This was one of those accidental rentals that turned out surprisingly well. I think it went direct to video a couple of years ago, but man, I laughed so hard. I don't even know what it was. It's just one of those ridiculous movies that make no overt sense, you just have to have a feel for it. It stars Luke Wilson (yay!), Ben Affleck, and Denise Richards. I would normally never willingly watch a Denise Richards movie, but she's subdued in this movie, and actually, it's more about Jay Lacopo, a dude you may not have heard of but who definitely deserves some props. You need to watch it to understand, so don't just stand there, bust a move.

What to Read:

Life of Pi, Yann Martel

If you haven't read it yet, just go get it. Don't read reviews, don't even read the blurb on the dust jacket. Just pick it up and start reading. The story itself is fascinating, purportedly "a story that will make you believe in God", but it's in the last few pages that I guarantee you your life will change. You have to worship a book that will do that for you.

What to Hear:

Ostensibly, Our Lady Peace (aka my favourite band ever, hands down, no doubt about it, so back the hell off) was coming out with a new much-anticipated (at my house anyway) album called "Vampires" in March. It didn't happen. The new release date seems to be July, so the bastards are making me wait. I can already guarantee that it will be worth the wait though, because these boys can do no wrong. In the meantime, try downloading Somewhere Out There or Innocent from their last album, Gravity. You'll fall in love. Incidentally, the band's lead singer Raine Maida reigns in all his rock star glory on a permanent spot on my 10 Hottest Men Ever list (I'm thinking of making George a place on the list, think I could swap out the gay guy?) and if you listen to that first song carefully, you'll hear a line dedicated to Moi: "I miss your purple hair, I miss the way you taste." Now, I'm not a girl to kiss and tell, but holy fuck yeah. Of course he's married now (to Chantal Kreviazuk) and so am I actually, but I'll always have that song. :)



Okay, so do your worst. What have you got for me?

No comments: