Thursday, January 06, 2005

A Message To Martin,

Melissa has told me the most wonderful news - you asked, and she said yes.

She said yes!!! Melissa and Martin are getting married!!

I, for one, and probably among many, am sooo happy for the both of you. You have forever in your eyes.

I have just one request for you, Martin.

You obviously have good taste, you chose Melissa. Melissa is the sweetest person I know. She is kind and generous, and a great friend. She is usually 'the quiet one', but you must know very well by now that she also has a darker, and somewhat fiestier side. There are a lot of things about Melissa that continue to surprise me, and I hope that remains true throughout your relationship and upcoming marriage. I know she will always be true to you, so be the same for her. Love her and cherish her, and treat her well.


My dear Melissa, it was quite a while ago now when you first said to me "I want to marry a farmer", and of course I rolled my eyes at you and laughed a little. But now your dreams are coming true: a new home, a new job, and a new fiance (well, granted you've known him for some time, but the engagement is new!). You got your farmer. You got your love. You don't need me to tell you that you will be happy with your man, you know it, and seeing how I have no real advice to give, I'll offer only this along with my best wishes, something I picked up from a favourite movie of mine:

The greatest thing you'll ever learn
Is just to love and be loved in return.

Much, much, much love to you both,
J and J
xo

13 comments:

{illyria} said...

melissa and martin >> i don't know you, but finding love is the greatest gift. i am very happy for you both. i wish you more love and laughter all the days of your life.

jay >> i loved moulin rouge, too.

Jay said...

That movie makes me wish I had more sequins in my wardrobe. And a really, really big swing hanging from my ceiling.

{illyria} said...

jay >> not just sequins, but also exotic landscapes, great can-can legs, group singing and a smiling moon.

Monica said...

congrats and best of luck to both of them!!!!!!!!

I love Moulon rouge(spelling?) too

also they use that song in the movie "Untamed hearts" (which mead me CRY, CRY, CRY!!!!!!!!!!! its an instumental until they play it by My love Nat King Cole in the end credits)

Congrats, Congrats, Congrats!!!!!!!!

Calaloola said...

Jay...

I just dropped in to thank you for posting on my blog, and to check yours out and to query you about the whole boogying-with-Dr-Phil-on-New-Years thang(?!) I wasn't expecting all of this love and loss and raw emotion. Or the empathy it aroused in me. My father issues are very different to yours, but they're issues nonetheless and they colour a lot of what I do and I have always ached for girls who've felt something like this: a father who couldn't love them, who loved them too much but didn't know how to show it, who couldn't let go or who disappeared altogether.

My parents have been happily married for almost 30 years and yet I'm no more certain when it comes to matters of the heart than you are. But you are loved and that makes you lucky: both of you. And your hubby's a cutie :)

Anonymous said...

[jay thanks for letting me know!]

Melissa: So many congratulations to you and your fiancé! It wasn't very long ago that I heard you had finally bought the farm [in the best sense], and now this! All the best to you and Martin for the up coming wedding and everything before and after.
Best wishes forever,
Lots of Love & Happiness,
Kelly

Anonymous said...

I must say that it was very exciting around this house upon hearing the great news. I am so thrilled for both of you, and happy that we'll finally know another married couple, we'll have to hang out and do more couples things. I wish you all the happiness that Jay and I have had, and that all the planning doesn't stress you out too much!

-Jason

chirky said...

Ooh! Engagements are so exciting! One of my favorite things to do, when people I know are engaged, is to looke them up on www.theknot.com. You should make a website for them, or they should make one on there. So fun! Congrats!

Tara said...

Best wishes. My your love live long and prosper!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to the lucky couple :)

Jeff and I wish you billions and trillions of hours of happiness.

-- Sarah

Unknown said...

Just in case saying who you want to marry actually works....

I want to marry a farmer. Or a wrestler. Or a cowboy. Or a fireman. Or a football player...

Jay said...

Oh, I totally love Chicago too! And that song, whew. With lyrics like:

I said, "Bernie, you pop that
gum one more time..."
And he did.
So I took the shotgun off the wall
and I fired two warning shots...
Into his head.

and

"You been screwin the milkman."
And then he ran into my knife.
He ran into my knife ten times!

Of course, it's not the most romantic of movies, what with all the murder and adultery and whatnot. Melissa and Martin, I'm sure your love will be much more like Moulin Rouge...well except that Melissa isn't a whore and she's not going to die an untimely death.
Crap.
Well, then it will be like Titanic.
Only without all the sinking and frostbite.
Or Dirty Dancing.
Except not at all.

Well, why don't you just be your own love story, seems like you're already doing an excellent job at that.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Melissa and Martin!
I knew you seemed really happy when we met for dinner. You have found a person to share your dream with. You seemed a lot more relaxed, confidant and well happier than way back in those high school days. I'm very happy for you guys. I wish you all the best.
-Lisa